‘Ay, sir, to be honest as this world goes, is to be one man picked out of ten thousand.’ – Hamlet
- People whose staple response is ad hominem get really frustrated. Which is why they attack anonymity – they are trying to find something to work with.
- If helps conversations stick to the issues.
- It saves other people who may be connected to you from trouble or embarrassment if you make a blunder.
- It helps to protect you from those who are in a position to harm you if they feel threatened by your views (but of course it cannot guarantee this).
- It means you can never be accused of self-promotion.